Thursday, November 5, 2009

Confessions of a Sales Rep


My motel career started in my teens growing up in a motel. I can remember being impressed with the sales reps that our family hosted. They drove the latest cars, dressed well, ate out at restaurants and seemed to have a great social life. 

Companies seem to be micro managing their sales team a lot more these days and there are a lot less excesses than there used to be. The pressure of sales targets and more accountability has changed the life of a sales rep, however a man away from home will always find some time for personal pursuits:
As the company’s national sales meeting got underway one particularly cocky sales rep was approached by a stern-looking man.

“Excuse me,” he said, “are you Stanley Jones?”

“That’s me,” the confident young man replied. “Stanley Jones is the name, selling is the game.”

“Tell me, were you in Palmerston North two months ago?”

Jones began leafing through his day planner, “Two months ago. Why, yes, I sure was.”

And did you stay at the Lacey Motel?”

“Now, let me see. Yes here it’s, the Lacey Motel.”

“And did you stay in room 31?”

“Hang on,” he murmured, as he turned a page, “Yes, I did.”

“Next to a Mrs. Porter?”

“Mrs. Porter? Hmmmm… Why, yes, she was in room 32.”

“And you slept with her on Saturday night?”

“Just a second,” the sales rep replied as he checked his entries. “Yes, your right. I did give her a bit of the in-and-out.”

The stranger turned bright red. “Well, I’m her husband, Mr. Jones, and I don’t like it!”

The sales rep looked at his book again. “Mrs. Porter, Lacey Motel 32,” he read. “No, sir, neither did I!”

Click the "Get Widget" link below to place this widget on your website or blog!